Casting on the Coosa – The surgeon operates on a digit

By Marty Dixon/Staff Correspondent

His last week was rehab and fishing whenever I could.
First, let’s give credit where credit is due. Tuesday night’s tournament results were Kenny and Matt in first place at 11.69 pounds, second place went to Pockets and Greg at 9.43 pounds with a Big Fish of 5.60 pounds and third place went to Walter at 9, 03 pounds. Three fish were weighed over 5.5. Pound. It was a rainy and stormy tournament with 23 boats taking part.
At the tournament on Wednesday evening, 17 boats tried to brave the rain. The weights went down a bit with Dallas and Hunter taking home the gold at 8.87lbs, the silver medal went to Jamie at 8.81lbs and the bronze went to Dustin and Tracy at 8.28lbs. The Big Fish went to Lynn and Sticks at 4.66 pounds. Five fish weighed over four pounds.
Brother Butch and I scuffled with little to no luck. We just couldn’t get a firm bite all evening. So the boat captain and his stumpy first mate went to the house to avoid having to drive back in the rain.
I fished Monday morning throughout the cloud cover with some success and managed to lure 10 or 12 fish onto the boat. I’ve caught them with a variety of baits including frog, swim jig and a chatterbait. The frog did most of the work to get the bigger bites. I should have packed three or four more in the boat but I had one unbuttoned near the boat plus two or three more were missing due to my strained leg. I also completely missed two pretty good fish trying unsuccessfully to put that wooden leg on the trolling motor. The fish seemed to be biting as I shuffled my feet to fish comfortably. That’s how frog jumps sometimes, I suppose.
Last Saturday Butch and I fished at a club tournament with the Poor Folks Fishing Club. It was a struggle all day while trying to fish with other 5,000 boats out on the water. It was like fishing in a washing machine. There were no limits out there, sort of like an old school knuckle “rasslin” match at the old Omni in Atlanta with Gordon Solie on the mic. We managed to weigh a few but 10 or 12 pounds of fish jumped off right next to the boat.
The Save of the Day went to Butch, henceforth referred to as The Surgeon. While we were fishing a boat waved us down to see if we knew how to remove a hook from a finger. Butch told them he had done it before and the man crawled into our boat to have the hook removed.
The injured angler turned out to be Chris Pointer, whom Butch knew. We came to find out I work with Chris’ niece Macy in Silver Lakes. With all the boats out on the water, what are the chances of that happening?
I cut a braided line off one of my rods for the surgeon to go to work on. Butch hooked it up and unhooked the treble hook from Chris’ finger. Remember that the hook was buried deep in Chris’ finger up to the crook and he never flinched. Accordingly, Chris is now referred to as The Macho Man in this column. I would hire Chris as a tag partner in a barbed wire match anytime. Anyway, The Macho Man taped the finger shut and continued fishing for the rest of the day.
Kudos to Butch for getting on point with the hook removal and kudos to Chris for being tough as nails. My role was to provide moral support while trying not to watch the bloody trial.
We hope to see you on the water. Tight lines and no snags for everyone!
Marty Dixon is a 1982 graduate of Sardis High School and a retired high school educator and coach. He was the head coach of the Gadsden State women’s basketball team from 2015 to 2019. He and his wife Texann live in Gadsden. He can be contacted at [email protected] and through the Neely Henry Bass Fishing page on Facebook.

About Katie Curtis

Check Also

Brescia’s men’s basketball looks for consistency early on | Sports

Brescia University has been looking for consistency at the start of its men’s basketball season. …