- You can start a WhatsApp video call from the Calls tab by looking up a contact or a chat thread.
- With WhatsApp, you can take part in a video call with up to eight people.
- When you link the WhatsApp desktop app to your phone, you can send and receive video calls on your computer.
- Visit Insider’s Tech Reference Library for more stories.
According to Statista, WhatsApp is the most popular global messaging app in the world with around two billion active users per month – that’s almost every third person on earth. If you include yourself, you may want to use the service for video chatting in addition to voice calls and text messages.
No matter how you connect to WhatsApp, whether via the mobile app or the desktop app on your PC or Mac, you can join a video call with just a few clicks or taps.
How to make and receive a WhatsApp video call on cellphone
On both iPhone and Android, you can start a video call from the WhatsApp Calls tab or from the Chat tab.
To make a video call from the Calls tab
1. Tap the Calls Tab located at the bottom of the screen on iPhone and the top of the screen on Android.
2. Tap the New call Button shaped like a phone. It’s at the top on the iPhone and at the bottom on Android.
3. Find the person you want to call in your contact list. Tap the Video button on the far right of the screen to make the call.
How to start a video call from the Chats tab
1. Tap the Chats Tab located at the bottom of the screen on iPhone and the top of the screen on Android.
2. In your list of chat messages, find the chat of the person you want to talk to and tap on it.
3. At the top of the chat page, tap Video button to start the video call.
How to switch between WhatsApp video and voice calls while on a call
You can switch between voice and video while a WhatsApp call is in progress.
How to switch from a voice call to a video call
1. Tap the Video button at the bottom of the screen, shaped like a video camera. It’s always visible on Android, but you may need to tap the iPhone screen (or click the desktop screen) for the controls to appear first.
2. The other participant will be notified that you are switching to video. When your contact switches, it becomes a video call. If the other party does nothing or rejects the video, they will return to a voice call.
How to switch from a video call to a voice call
1. Tap the Cancel video (the video with a slash). This will disable your video.
2. The other participant sees a message that you’ve turned off your video. If he or she taps that too Cancel video Button, the call becomes a voice call again. If not, it remains a video call with only one participant’s video disabled.
You can toggle between voice and video calls as often as you like in a call.
How to make a group video call on WhatsApp
One of the strengths of WhatsApp is the ability to handle group video calls with up to eight people at the same time. There are several ways to start a group video call.
From a group or individual chat
1. Tap the Chats Tab.
2. In the list of chat messages, tap the chat that you want to video call.
3. Tap the Video call Button at the top of the screen. The call will start immediately.
4th After the call starts, you can add more people (up to eight, including yourself) to the video call. To do this, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap add participants, and then select the person you want to add to the video call.
On the Calls tab
1. Tap the Calls Tab.
2. Tap the New call Button.
3. At the top of the contact list, tap New group call.
4th Select up to seven people, then tap the Video Button.
5. After the call starts, you can add more people (up to eight, including yourself) to the video call. To do this, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap add participants, and then select the person you want to add to the video call.
You can convert an individual video call to a group call at any time. During a call, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and tap add participants, and then select the person you want to add to the video call.
How to join a group video call on WhatsApp
If someone includes you on a group video call, you will receive the invitation at the beginning of the call, but don’t feel pressured to answer immediately. Even if you decline the call, you can always go back to it and join the call before it ends.
1. When you join a group call, you will receive a notification inviting you to join.
2. When ready to answer the call, tap Open minded. To move the call, tap To ignore.
3. When you join the call, you will see the call menu where you can view details about the call including the participant list. Tap associate.
If you tapped before To ignore If you postpone a video call or have not answered at all, you can still join the video call while it is still in progress.
1. Tap the Calls Tab.
2. If the call is still active, a banner will be displayed for the call. Tap it to open the call menu screen.
3. Tap associate.
How to make a WhatsApp video call on computer
There are two ways to use WhatsApp on a computer – in a web browser with WhatsApp Web, or in the desktop app if you have it installed. Unfortunately, you can only make video calls using the desktop app version of WhatsApp, not the website version.
1. If you haven’t already installed the desktop app, install the WhatsApp desktop for Windows or Mac.
2. After installing the app, link WhatsApp on your phone to the desktop. To do this, tap on the QR code Icon at the top right of the mobile app. Then tap scan and point your phone’s camera at the QR code in the desktop app. When you’re done, tap Link a device to complete the connection.
3. Open the chat you want to video call, then click Video call Button shaped like a video camera.
Can you multitask on a WhatsApp video call?
WhatsApp doesn’t limit you to your call when you’re in a video chat. Instead, you can multitask while on a WhatsApp call. Here’s what you can do:
- Minimize the video window. On a WhatsApp call, tap that return (on Android this is the downward pointing arrow in the top left, while on iOS it is the left pointing button). The video call continues, but the video is minimized to a small picture-in-picture video window in the corner of the screen.
- Move the video window around. After minimizing the video window, you can drag it anywhere along the edge on either side of the screen.
- Do something different in WhatsApp. You can open other WhatsApp tabs if you want. For example, you can have a text chat during a video call.
- Use another app on your phone. You can start another app and continue video chat in a small window.
- Return to a full screen video chat. To view the video in full screen again (and get the controls to end the call), just tap the video window.