Here’s your morning round-up from Liverpool for Wednesday 6th October.
Liverpool stadium map and name rights update
Liverpool managing director Andy Hughes says over 60,000 Anfield capacity is vital to the club’s long-term competitiveness.
And the Reds boss says owners Fenway Sports Group’s “huge and strategic investment” in Anfield Road development is required to continue playing self-sufficient at the high end of the game.
The plan to expand the venue by another 7,000 officially launched on Thursday when coach Jürgen Klopp put the first spade in the ground in Anfield and Liverpool is confident that it will be ready in time for August 2023.
READ MORE: Liverpool sent Erling Haaland Man City a transfer warning amid rumors of Borussia Dortmund’s departure
Mr Hughes says it was always the idea of getting Anfield over the 60,000 mark when he outlined the investment is further evidence of the owners’ commitment to the football club.
Full transcript of our exclusive interview with Andy Hughes:
First, how big is this day for everyone in the football club?
“It’s an absolutely huge day, we worked on this project for a really long time.
“I think that has been discussed well. We first applied for the master plan in 2016 when we were building the main grandstand and that is the culmination of a lot of work.
“Ultimately, it’s about getting that capacity over 60,000 so it’s a really good day for the club.”
When we first talked about this project in November 2019, naming rights were still on the table as a possibility, what’s the latest about it at this point?
“There’s no real update at the moment, but there are a lot of different things we can do around the sponsorship and in relation to the specific lounges.
“If you look at what we did in the main stand, we’ll look at it now, but nothing concrete yet.”
READ THE FULL STORY HERE.
Get the latest on Liverpool news, team news, transfer rumors, injury updates as well as analysis of what’s next for the Reds.
You will also receive the latest transfer discussions and analyzes FREE of charge every day!
Register here – it only takes a few seconds!
Liverpool “used WhatsApp” to try to secure a £ 52m transfer
Before joining Chelsea last year, Timo Werner was strongly associated with a move to Bayern Munich and Liverpool.
In a legal dispute between Werner’s advisor Karl-Heinz Forster and his former employee Murat Lokurlu, details have emerged in recent weeks according to which the clubs approached him for the first time in 2019.
A report in The mirror reveals evidence Lokurlu presented in the context of the financial disagreement, including a series of WhatsApp chats describing an apparently planned transfer for Werner two years ago.
According to Lokurlus, Werner was in talks with Liverpool and Bayern Munich about a possible change in February 2019.
Other documents filed claim that Liverpool offered Werner nearly £ 10.3m a year salary and nearly £ 21.5m in bonuses.
Instead, Forster is said to have urged the then RB Leipzig to sign a preliminary contract with Bayern Munich, a move that then collapsed after Werner learned that high-ranking figures from the club were not interested in getting him.
The German international extended his contract with Leipzig but was tied to an exit the following year when Liverpool’s interest resurfaced.
All signs indicated the Reds were finally landing their man, but Werner instead joined Premier League rivals Chelsea and Liverpool to sign Diogo Jota from Wolves.
READ THE FULL STORY HERE.