It is official. WhatsApp finally allows users to transfer their entire chat history from Android to iOS and vice versa. After years of requests, beta testing and limited compatibility with smartphone models, the company is rolling out this feature to all users.
The last time 9to5Mac reported on this, WhatsApp integrated this feature via the Move to iOS app, but it was in beta. A month after the company rolled out this feature, it is now rolling it out to all users as a stable release.
Here’s what you need to know to migrate your chat from Android to iOS and vice versa:
- Android OS Lollipop, SDK 21 or later, or Android 5 or later installed on your Android device
- iOS 15.5 or later installed on your iPhone
- Switch to the iOS app installed on your Android phone
- WhatsApp iOS version 126.96.36.199 or higher on your new device
- WhatsApp Android version 188.8.131.52 or higher on your old device
- Use the same phone number on your new device as you used on your old phone
- Your iPhone must be brand new or factory reset to pair with the Move to iOS app and transfer data from your Android phone
- Both devices must be connected to a power source
- Both devices need to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network or you need to connect your Android device to your iPhone’s hotspot
How to migrate your WhatsApp chat history from Android to iPhone
- Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen instructions.
- A code will appear on your iPhone. If prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
- Beat Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Choose Whatsapp on the Transferring Data Screen.
- Beat BEGINNING on your Android phone and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You will be logged out of your Android phone once the data is prepared.
- Beat NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
- Beat CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp from the App Store.
- Open WhatsApp and sign in with the same phone number you used on your old device.
- Beat beginning when prompted and wait for the process to complete.
- Finish activating your new device and you will see that your chats are waiting for you.
When you transfer your WhatsApp data, you need to create an iCloud backup to use cloud storage. The company notes that unless people delete WhatsApp or erase the phone, it cannot see the data transferred by the user and the Android phone will still have the data.
How do you like this update? Do share your thoughts in the comment section below.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Visit 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news: